Monday, May 20, 2013

Quick and Easy Ideas for Healthy Snacks


Eating healthy when you are constantly on the go is not always easy, so I’m going to give you some ideas for some delicious snacks that are quick and easy that you can incorporate in your busy lives.

Snacks with Avocado
I love adding avocados to my daily snacks because they are tasty, healthy and they keep me feeling satisfied and energized. WebMd notes that, “[a]vocados are a good source of fiber, potassium, and vitamins C,K, folate, and B6. Half an avocado has 160 calories, 15 grams of heart-healthy unsaturated fat, and only 2 grams saturated fat. One globe contains more than one-third daily value of vitamin C, and more than half the day’s requirements of vitamin K.” Many people who are trying to lose weight avoid avocados because they are so high in calories, but since contain many vitamins and other things that benefit our health, I wouldn’t worry about the calories. As long as you are consuming them in moderation, it shouldn’t be a problem-- especially because they are energizing and they keep you full.

These are some of my favorite snacks with avocado:
·      Gluten free toast with hummus, mashed avocado & fresh black pepper (if you are in the mood for an extra crunch, I also like to add thinly sliced cucumbers to this recipe)


Click for Picture Source



·      Half of a gluten free bagel with a thin layer of cream cheese, smoked salmon topped with half of an avocado

 
My Picture!

·      Fitsugar.com also has some great healthy avocado snack ideas. Click here to visit the page.


*I choose gluten free bread and bagels because gluten has many negative effects on the body. My friend and fellow blogger, Susanna, does a good job of explaining why you, too, should try and avoid gluten. Click here to view her article! 


Smoothies
Smoothies are great for long-lasting energy and for packing in extra fruits and vegetables into your diet. Throw your favorite fresh and frozen fruits or vegetables into a blender, blend and serve.

If you are interested in trying a green smoothie recipe, this is a recipe from one of my favorite online health forums, www.movenourishbelieve.com. I came across this website because it is the website associated with of one of my favorite active wear brands, Lorna Jane.

Click for Source




Fresh Squeezed / Pressed Juices
Fresh squeezed or pressed juices are fantastic for a fast and body-nourishing snack or for a meal replacement. Juices contain no fiber so the nutrients are quickly absorbed into the blood stream.  

There are so many different juice recipes that vary greatly in flavor and in benefits. Fresh pressed juices are somewhat of an acquired taste so just be prepared for something different if you have never tried them before!

Look up recipes with some of your favorite fruits and vegetables for a more enjoyable juice experience. Personally, I like to add carrot in my vegetable juices for a sweeter taste.

If you are interested in learning more about juicing and making smoothies, I really recommend this movenourishbelieve.com article. It compares the benefits of the two, and offers great suggestions for the best fruits and vegetables to put into your juices and smoothies-- overall, it is the most thorough and enjoyable article that I have come across on this subject matter. 

I hope you enjoy my snack suggestions. Let me know which ones you try! 

No comments:

Post a Comment